Friday, March 05, 2004

Draw close to God,
and God will draw close to you.

-James 4:8

I remember when I first became a Christian and how easy it was to just accept this simple truth as fact: God wants to be close to me.

He was inviting me, compelling me really, to come to Him.

It was a mysterious and deeply moving invitation because I was aching inside to be loved. I was broken hearted and needed a true friend desperately. I was constantly being smashed and thrashed on the rocks of unhealthy relationships.

I was like a piece of water logged wood in the ocean waves, being constantly thrown here and there by every unwise choice I made. I was searching for something in people that I couldn't find and it was seriously battering me to death inside.

I couldn't find the acceptance, security and affection that I so longed for. I was sure that another relationship would satisfy, another party, another job, another night out, another trip, another toy would ease the internal frustration. I was empty.

I was always looking horizontal and inward but I never thought about looking vertical.

Until I was told that I had a spiritual need and I had to look to God.

Not long after that, I heard the above invitation, not like Moses on the mountain but like the smell of fresh bread on the wind. I sensed something drawing me and it was a new fragrance not like the earthly perfume that dissipates the longer you wear it but a celestial scent that seemed to grow stronger the longer I drew it in.

I was intoxicated...and I fell madly in love with GOD!

Here was a relationship that wasn't based on outer things.
Here was a safe place that offered me friendship that wouldn't abandon me, even if I sinned. Here was an invitation to a future that wasn't based on how good I was or if I did everything just right but was a free offer.
God offered me everything in exchange for my pitiful life, that I had done marvelously at wasting. He wanted my life and I was sooooo willing to give it to Him.

But above that, He wanted my heart and that was a mystery to me. I wasn't good at loving people very well, in fact, I almost always gave up on people first before they could leave me. I couldn't promise Him anything more than who I was and yet...He chose me.

His choosing me, had a profound impact on my life. I felt special, more special than I ever had felt by winning the temporary affections of the latest girl.

Those were crazy days.
First love is amazing.

I am so glad that His love doesn't end but grows deeper and deeper and hotter and hotter the closer you get to Him.

Kinda like the Sun, the closer you get...it burns you up.

I dare you to draw near today.
Take a chance and drop everything and open up your arms and embrace Him. He is waiting to draw near and you can probably smell the fragrance of heaven around you even now...


No comments: