Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Brian and the Bully...

One of my fondest memories of HS was of a blind boy named David.

He used to wander the halls with his blind cane and actually make it to class on time and everything. But because of his blindness, when he would look at you, his eyes would kind of be half cocked. It was kind of humorous looking at someone and their eyes would be looking at an angle, almost like he was trying to be funny.

I remember one day in the halls as I was walking a ways behind him, I saw someone start to try to trip him and kick his cane.

He was getting bullied.

I couldn't believe that someone was taking advantage of David's handicap. Then all of a sudden one of my "stoner" friends, a guy named Brian (a huge guy); came out of nowhere and slammed the bully out of the way. I could hear him shout at the bully a potent threat and then the bully slinked away...humiliated.

I was proud to be in Brian's friend that day but more proud of Brian for using his brawn to protect the weak.

Brian was a real man in my eyes that day, not for his muscles or attitude but his heart.

I think Jesus was proud of Brian that day too.

I think Jesus walks the halls of most Schools and weeps. The things He sees, the junk He hears kids talking about and the way young people treat each other. I think He sits at lunch tables and watches Christians join in or stay silent and wonders where are the Brians...?

No comments: