Monday, August 01, 2005

The lover and the bard...

All we have willed or hoped or dreamed of good shall exist;
Not its semblance, but itself; no beauty, nor good, nor power
whose voice has gone forth, but each survives for the melodist
When eternity affirms the conception of an hour.
The high that proved too high, the heroic for earth too hard,
The passion that left the ground to lose itself in the sky,
Are music sent up to God by the lover and the bard;
Enough that he heard it once; we shall hear it by-and-by.
-Robert Browning (1864), stanza 10
 
I wept after I read this poem...
 

2 comments:

FCB said...

I had to read this over a few times to get what I think is the point; all that's done for Him shall be one day revealed by Him.
He saw what maybe no one else saw, and remembers.
I like that as well.

Unknown said...

Exactly...they shall exist.
That is something that is true in this life or the next. When eternity confirms the conception of an hour...there have been so many conceptions that I have wondered why they seemed to not grow, at least before my eyes. Knowing that all my prayers, my attempts at the heroic, all the passions that have been lost on Him, will be remembered. Like the expensive perfume poured on the feet of Jesus...it shall be remembered.