Thursday, August 25, 2005

Treasures found...

The words of wise men are like goads and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd. –Ecclesiastes 12:11

 

How different it is with the man who devotes himself to studying the law of the Most High, who investigates all the wisdom of the past and spends his time studying the prophecies! He preserves the sayings of famous men and penetrates the intricacies of parables. He investigates the hidden meaning of proverbs and knows his way among riddles. –Ecclesiasticus 39:1-3

 

I scored big on my recent book hunt at my new favorite bookstore in Coeur D Alene. Its a great bookstore filled with old books, classical music playing softly in the background and decorated with tons of old art pieces, artifacts and old sculptures. Simply a delightful Bag-End like experience that is tucked away on a side street that beckoning the explorer of wisdom to discover her.

 

My finds includes:

  • Every Man A King by Orison Sweet Marden (1906)
  • A hard copy of two books in the Martian chronicles by Edgar Rice Burroughs with illustrations by my favorite artist Frank Frazetta.
  • Lust for Life, a book on Vincent van Gogh published in 1934 and packed full of his art.
  • The Mad King by E. R. Burroughs
  • A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (It is not a classic but another book I am reclaiming from the host of books I erroneously dispelled from my bookshelf after being converted to Jesus. At that time I didn't understand that truth was truth no matter where it was found or experienced. The joy of returning to old friends has been exhilarating!)   

1 comment:

FCB said...

Those are some great finds, makes me green with envy.