Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pistols, Preachers and People...

So...I'm outside our coffee house, on the phone dealing with some facility issues and I hear someone yelling upstairs in the apartments above our meeting space. It's escalating and I'm thinking this is getting police worthy. After some investigation, I find out it's related to a CPS visit and the dad is going postal. With some decompression talk, things mellow by the grace of God.

I turn around and there's this sweet truck parked in front of our building and on the dashboard are three 9MM pistol clips.

I'm struck by the gritty, sureal nature of what takes place around our church. Guns, drugs, anger and violence mingle with gospel, love, serving and community...all on one block.

It's always interesting in East Central.

9 comments:

wes said...

Am I missing a link here somewhere? All I see is the pic of Larry's and the SUV....

Unknown said...

sorry Wes, the text didnt come through on my first posting...

wes said...

Wow. And that's what goes down during daylight hours... Someday you'll be able to write a screenplay on your day-to-day experiences in East Central. But just think what that immediate area would be like without the presence of Jacob's Well?

Michael McMullen said...

Good point, Wes. Our screenplay could only cover the daylight hours, however as the night life of East Central is already covered on Fox's hit tv show Fringe.

wes said...

Interesting how one man's fringe is another man's center, isn't it Mike?

Michael McMullen said...

Indeed. Wow. You actually took that to a deeper place than I thought it could go. Well played, sir. When do you get a blog?

wes said...

When my daughter leaves the nest & Joy & I retire!

My comments on this blog are kinda like a baseball game... Eric pitches the ball and on occasion I hit it. Fortunately for me the good pastor usually throws strikes...

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

"Fortunately for me the good pastor usually throws strikes..."

-Amen :)