Friday, May 27, 2005

Hearing my echo...

"Writing now was like dropping stones in some deep, bottomless pool.
They drop; they sink -- there is no answer."
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.

So much of art is like this quote but I am finding that simply dropping stones begins to have its own reward. The process is meditative and regenerative too. There is something unclogging about engaging the side of the mind that produces poetry, music, art and writing. It has the power to open doors of thought and veins of emotion that are often hidden or repressed.

It can begin as a poor tool for insecure souls needing too much affirmation but after awhile it actually begins to steel one against that very thing. After the piece is spoken and you hear the echo of your own words, images or music..you begin to see yourself in a new light.
That process purges you and cleanses you at the same time.

2 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

Excellent.

Anonymous said...

Yep, it is excellent. I find the only thing that dampens my enthusiasm is when I share my "purging" with others and see there less than enthusiastic facial expressions. Oh well, truth is most of the motivation for me has nothing to do with others. It's that "unclogging of the mind" that stimulates the creative juices and truly has its own reward. I like to be around creative people and collect creative things and go to places where craftmanship was added, even to the most common.
Did I just mention New Orleans?
Dad