Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Just be faithful...

Mark Hatfield tells of touring Calcutta with Mother Teresa and visiting the so-called "House of Dying," where sick children are cared for in their last days, and the dispensary, where the poor line up by the hundreds to receive medical attention. Watching Mother Teresa minister to these people, feeding and nursing those left by others to die, Hatfield was overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the suffering she and her co-workers face daily. "How can you bear the load without being crushed by it?" he asked. Mother Teresa replied, "My dear Senator, I am not called to be successful, I am called to be faithful." via http://scott.club365.net/
 
This is a truth that has painfully eluded me.
 
I want to be successful and too much of my self worth has stemmed from trying to be successful in ministry. Which when boiled down, has been a fragile thing to build my self worth on because people fail, grow slow, sin, struggle, live lives of duplicity, are like changing winds and they come and they go. Most grow happens over time and the moment when it is seen more clearly is when they most likely are not around you anymore.
 
I feel jipped by that, because I want to see it, actually I want you to see it. 
Because then I will feel successful.
 
 
  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too crave success. I wish I could get over it and just focus on what God has in-store. I am like the disciple who in the midst of God is scared of the storm. Everywhere I see miracles and yet I still cling to fear and hopelessness. I keep trying to fly my own flag, and end up in a squall everytime. Sad.

Today I sold my bicycle. The guy who bought is going to send it to his friend in Florida, who is a missionary. I bought that bike in Thailand, sent it here, and now it's going to Florida for two years. If God can use that bike...
-Matt