Thursday, December 29, 2005

We are only yesterday...

Please inquire of past generations and consider the things searched out by their fathers.
For we are only yesterday and know nothing because our days on earth are as a shadow. Will they not teach you and tell you and bring forth words from their minds? -Job 8:8-9
 
This passage of scripture captures the heart of why I love reading and especially old books.
I think the bible obviously embodies this truth the most but I find similar treasures hidden away in the dusty pages of forgotten books.
 
I came away from my trip down to Portland with a suitcase full of wisdom thanks to my Dad, my brother Matt and Powels Books.
 
The Royal Path of Life: published in 1893
Parables of Kierkegaard
Mere Christianity: C.S. Lewis
Emerging Churches: Gibbs/Bolger
A Golden Treasury: Puritan paperback
The Christian's Great Interest: Puritan paperback
The Glory Of Christ: Puritan paperback
Spiritual Growth by Pink
Saving Faith by Pink
Solomon on Sex by Dillow
 
Ahhhh the beauty of a good bookstore, I can find titles I have been looking for in minutes when I go to Powells that I have not seen in Spokane at all. Spokane sucks when it comes to bookstores and our corporate intelligence and depth of spirit reveal it.
Bad books...bad thinkers.
 
I loathe the poverty of it all.
 
 

3 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

I see Mere Christianity on there. Eric, buddy, please tell me you've read that before! I won't be able to look you in the eye if you respond in the negative.

I'm kidding, I'm not good with eye contact anyway.

Unknown said...

I have read most of it.I can take Lewis in bits...I don't enjoy him in large chunks. Too dry but in slices I find his wisdom to be perfect.

Michael McMullen said...

Ahhh. Yeah, it took me about a year or so to get through all of it.