Sunday, April 15, 2007

I'll travel piggyback, thank you...


all the way yu walked
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

The Lord your God who goes before you will Himself fight on your behalf, just as He did for you in Egypt before your eyes, and in the wilderness where you saw how the Lord your God carried you, just as a man carries his son, in all the way which you have walked until you came to this place. But for all this, you did not trust the Lord your God, who goes before you on your way... -Deuteronomy 1:30-32

Just as a man carries his son...

That phrase embodies all my hope as a pastor. The core of my security and epicenter of my peace in the chaos; is the simple trust that there is a bigger back, stronger arms, more firm legs and One with clearer vision that offers me a piggyback ride.

A Father, who doesn't just send us out there alone but offers to carry us, fight for us and most importantly knows the way ahead, through the wilderness.

Piggyback doesn't have a fortune 500 ring to it, I know. I'm not sure if you can rally to many people to follow a leader who doesn't put his confidence in his own legs, his own arms or his own sense of direction.

Piggyback riding sounds sissy but trust me, when the snakes and the scorpions are swarming the path, it makes perfect sense to me.

When the road ahead looks steep, unpassable, treacherous and more of a climb than I feel capable of ascending...piggyback, sounds good to me.

When the pain of the journey weighs down on your broken heart and the path underneath you is slippery from all the mud of your tears...burying your face in stronger shoulders and clinging to the neck of a father soothes your weary soul.

How did I get here? I don't know? I just clung on for dear life and by God's grace alone, emerged through soul stinging battles, menacing cliffs, deep and dark valleys, poisonous pits and lonely Jericho roads...piggyback.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It only sounds sissy if you've never needed it. I have and I can tell not only is it easier, the view is better! ~Matt