Wednesday, May 30, 2007

blood & mud...


bird
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

"These are the birds you are to detest and not eat because they are detestable: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat." -Lev 11:13-19

There is this homeless man that has been following me this week....church, memorial day BBQ, neighborhood park and today he was sitting on the bench in front of our church.

Waiting....for me.

I approached him, said his name...I remembered his name, he forgot mine. There he was, a heap of disheveled hair, dirty clothes, that pungent alcohol smell that I kinda like and kinda hate. Then there is the proverbial shopping cart...full of this and that, nothing and something. His had a little kitten on top, cute but dirty...kind of like him.

Then I noticed something, I wish I wouldn't have...he had the wings of a dead bird in his hands. Bloody, torn apart, fingers stained with mud and blood. He had cat food in a bag in the cart...I sat there staring at a man taking apart a dead bird carcass. He looked a bit uncomfortable and explained it was from down the street where a man raises pigeons. He said he thought one of the cats must have killed it. I shrugged and humphed but really didn't know what to say as I sat there looking at the remains of that bird laying on the cement by our church door.

I was sickened. I really dont know if he was eating the bird. But the whole process was something that hung in the air...suspended in disbelief and mild horror. I sat with him...simply because a man who is eating or carving, or carrying around dead pigeons needs a friend. I almost cried talking to him...sickened by the harsh realities of the urban poor. After our time together...I got up to leave. He rose and reached to hug me. I winced inside, slightly frantic as my inner gag reflex made me quite aware that it didn't like the possibility of contacting blood and mud.

He hugged me twice.

I washed my hands and arms furiously...slightly ashamed, but also aware of the holiness in the vile moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating. How your life (and your families) has been enriched since you moved to East Central. Even the bizarre & unusual would be better than the mundane everyday same 'ol same 'ol most of us exist in.
Thanks for sharing.
Wes