Thursday, May 24, 2007

The hidden power of prayer...



This is a short video from a church in Amsterdam called Zolder. It shares an overview of the amazing things God has done for this church since its planting around 4 years or so ago.

I met the first team that came to scout out Amsterdam, in a youth hostel I was staying in during one of my many prayer journeys to Amsterdam. I realize now the work of prayer the Lord was doing in preparing the way for many new gospel initiatives, church plants and emerging ministries in that city. Over the years I have seen the Lord unveiling His redemptive plan in that city. I rejoice when I hear these reports, I truly bear a deep love for the work of God that is prevailing there. This video only alludes to the tragic fall of the lead pastor to immorality that took place in the early days of the church. But through the tragedy they survived because a church isn't about a man or even a team but...Jesus, who is Lord and head of His churches in Amsterdam.

If you are attentive you will even see Christa at the end of the video in a shot of the worship. She was staying with us a for 3 weeks a few months ago. It's amazing the way God weaves lives, stories and ministries together in ways some people never will know. I have worshipped with this church when they were in the attic. I remember my concern and uneasiness when I sat and talked with the lead guys on their first scouting trip. I remember the labor pains of prayer, the travail of tears that God splattered all over the streets of that city as I walked, worshipped, evangelized and prophesied the word of the Lord to men, canals, homeless people, prostitutes, drug addicts, kids, women, statues, churches and whatever else God said to pray over.

I remember serving various churches and ministries and people by myself with a few fellow travelers and a team from one of our previous youth churches. I remember salvation's, prayers for healing under dark bridges in the rain, dinners with missionaries who serenaded us on strange instruments. I remember the presence of God that was like a sweet incense in the room of a ministry to drug addicts, prostitutes and lost people. I remember the heroin addict who was visited by Jesus in mental hospital and was instantly delivered and set free and put back in his right mind.

But most of all I remember God calling me as a youth leader in a youth group at 18 to a city I had never heard of through a Billy Graham film. I remember walking out of Central Station in Amsterdam for the first time...tired, wild and standing on the edge of an adventure that had more ramifications and manifestations than I ever dreamed.

Mysterious are His ways.

I woke this morning with Amsterdam on my heart and again...God wept.

No comments: