Sunday, October 10, 2004

truth in my hand...


If I held truth captive in my hand, I should open my hand and let it fly,
in order that I might again pursue and capture it.
-Malebranche.

Old truths are always new to us, if they come with the smell of heaven on them.
-John Bunyan

Truth, as humanity knows it, is not what the schoolmen call it, one and indivisible;
it is like light, and splits not only into elementary colors, but into innumerable tints.
Truth with Raphael is not the same as truth with Titian;
truth with Shakespeare is not the same as truth with Milton;
truth with St. Xavier is not the same as truth with Luther;
truth with Pitt is not the same as truth with Fox.
Each man takes from life his favorite truth,
as each man takes from light is favorite color.
-Bulwer
Posted by Hello

No comments: