Sunday, April 10, 2005

be a river...


You split the earth with rivers.
-Habakkuk 3:9

I was standing by this river and was struggling to have a quiet time before the Lord but not succeeding. My mind raced with thoughts about my life, ministry and the future. As usual I was bombarded with a thousand little paths that screamed for my feet to follow. It's always that way, it seems I fight with contentment more than anything else.

As I sat there watching the cold water pour down out of the snow capped peaks, I could feel my incessant need for answers begin to melt away like the water streaming past me. I stood there in the cool of the early morning with the sun beginning to creep over the eastern hillside, each ray a stake into the heart of those vampiric feelings.

I could feel the wrestling begin to fade and a still voice has become clearer in the echoes of the rippling waters.

"Look at the river" He said. "It has been right here for many generations, simply flowing down the mountainside into the valley. Countless people have sought rest, food, pleasure and inspiration from its melodic presence."

"It has hardly changed, a little here and there, sometimes swollen and sometime not but always there. It's not concerned about being anything else, no comparisons, no judgment...just a river, flowing."

"Be a river, that's all I ask."

"Let the heavy waters flow down from the heights and purge your streams of the stuff that has polluted your heart. Just flow freely and purely."

"Simply be present...ever flowing, that's all I ask."

"Just be here for thirsty travelers, burdened minds and restless hearts. Allow the hungry to feed from the bounty of your depths if they choose. Let Me quiet their loud hearts and untwist the knots in their souls with My soothing melodic rhythms that I desire to spill out over the riverbed of your spirit."

"Be a river...that's all I ask." Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Scott Patershall said...

This is a good word.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree, that is a good word.
It is hard for me to see the beauty of your family and the place you live in and hear you struggle with contentment.
I read Emerson's essay on Self-reliance on the plane today. He is no sage but I think there were a lot of good points in the essay and should be read by all.
I like this quote... "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendant destiny; and not minors and invalids in a protected corner, not cowards fleeing before a revolution, but guides, redeemers, and benefactors, obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark."

"Advancing on the Chaos and the Dark." Kind of like "be a river", maybe not an ocean, maybe a brook or small creek, but advancing, advancing on the chaos and the darkness, hmmm, I like that.

This little line may interest you as well....
"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
Dad