Saturday, April 02, 2005

Super Stupor...

I was thinking about the post on John Wesley and thought how crazy we religious people can get, even the super dudes too. John's religious oddities seem so outrageous but don't we have such religious blind spots too? It cracks me up how we can hold some things in such disdain like he did with tea but wine and beer were OK in his mind. Go figure.

I see that all the time...like:

Some people will not allow secular music but secular movies, TV and books are OK...huh?

No beer drinking but pot bellies and fat thighs are fine.

No money for the offering plate but a dinner and movies for entertainment every week.

No cigarettes but a $4 coffee drink habit is allowed even though it resembles the worst nic fit ever if they don't get their Java jump.

We preach against sex before marriage, brutality, adultery, immorality, vulgarity but we will sit in front of our TVs for house watching and listening to it.

On and on it goes...and that isn't an excuse for being so warped but the reality is, we all have holes in our holy garments and our butts are hanging out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I was saying is that I think the way he treated people from what was said in the article you posted was that he was an insensitive idiot. I was not decrying any of his godly accomplishments. But what a prick. This is unfortunately what happens when the Christian world elevates its leaders above other people within the body. The leaders end up having a God complex where they think they are superior to their underlings. I think we should know such negative things about our spiritual forefathers so that the worship of man will cease. Also, the fact that we can realize that they were no better than we are can give us hope that regardless of our own sin and failings, we too can leave an eternal legacy.
Neue

Unknown said...

I hear ya, I was dumbfounded by some of those things he said. You don't hear that kind of stuff in much church history books. I'm not sure if "prick" is very fair though. It's hard for us to understand the cultural context and religious world many of our fathers were raised within. Like racism, many were raised thinking such ideas were normal or even biblical and it took years of reeducation to enlighten men and women to the truth.
I think its the same with a lot of religious ideas too.
Not that I think that is an excuse for such whacked ideas as were written about but just trying to cut the poor preacha some slack.

Anonymous said...

That's true. I kinda forgot about the context issue. I don't know why I was so fired up about what he said. I'm better now.
Neue