Saturday, December 30, 2006

unexpected tears...


River rocks
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.
One of the things that I have been able to see in my visits with people who have been to Burma and in the Karen sate, is the beauty of the natural area. I've seen some recent video inside the conflict area and have been surprised by the country's lush wildness.

I can see that longing for the mountains, dirt trails, the open spaces, the trees, the small creeks and the fishing in the faces and voices of the Karen refugees here. I cant wait for it to warm up so we can take them out and into the rivers and the lakes to swim, walk and rest in the quiet...a small but hopefully rejuvenating experience for them.

There is such loss in all of this forced resettling for the refugees...home is such a powerful thing and to lose it or have it driven out of your life, taken from you or burned to the ground has far reaching effects on the soul and heart of a people.

I see this especially in the eyes of Haley the 12 year old son of Moon Light....the loss of friends and playmates, of home, of simply understanding...is caught in the far off look in his face at times.

It is a look that....well, is just...sadness.

Whenever you find tears in your eyes, especially unexpected tears, it is well to pay the closest attention. They are not only telling you something about the secret of who you are, but more often than not God is speaking to you through them of the mystery of where you have come from and is summoning you to where, if your soul is to be saved, you should go to next. --Frederick Buechner

I pray they find that way.

2 comments:

FCB said...

I have noticed as well the beauty of Burma in the films and pictures. Your post is so insightful and the quote at the end is profound.
Spokane is so beautiful I think they will drink in the beauty when you show them your secret places there.

Matt said...

Yes, the best fishing is on the frontline. War is good for fish. My friend who loves to fish had me send in a telescopic fishing pole so he could snag a few while they trek around the enemy. When you travel there you follow many rivers and they are crystal clear and look so good for swimming and fishing. Unfortunately we only swam in few. Mostly you just look and imagine and hike on. Also even though the villagers do their best to kill everything they can eat, there is still a fair bit of wildlife. Including cats, although I never saw one. But I did see lots of snakes, including a 5 inch diameter Burmese python that was eaten shortly afterwards.