Tuesday, June 19, 2007

That's it?


christ
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

Our local paper did a report on the 3 largest churches and on "mega" churches in general last Sunday. It was Father's day and that's the front page...bummer. But anyway...I found myself pretty disappointed by the article. Of course the churches are not responsible for the article but in general, I was unimpressed.

"Pulpit a concert-like stage" was one of the subtitles and the article described mega-churches worship services as: "high-quality, entertaining and well planned productions".

So this is what Jesus's little band of spiritual revolutionaries has become? Now granted this is the reporters perspective but if that is the conclusion they are coming up with...should we be concerned about the state of our churches? I find myself asking if this is all that I have to look forward too if our church continues to grow? All three churches highlighted in the article pretty much were interchangeable in everything shared or spotlighted. All their "offerings" as a church were all most identical. Is it impossible to grow that big and not become just like every other "mega" church? In the article they discussed how us Americans are so used to going to "super" stores, huge malls, Costco etc...that we are now wired to attend a "mega" church.

Our spiritual appetites have been shaped by our Jinormous everything culture...is that true?

1 comment:

Michael McMullen said...

I think the short answer to that last question would be yes. However, it does come with a side order of complacency. We not only want giant portions, but we want the handed to us so we don't have to do any actual work.

And I say this as a true (but reforming) glutton.

Now to answer your other question, I choose to believe that not every church turns out that way when it gets bigger. Sure, that may be the mold now. But then again, how many mega churches in the US started out as tiny home-grown fellowships and not pre-fab worship centers designed to be modular? Few, if any. Especially lately. This is turning into an op-ed piece. Don't want to hijack your blog.

Who's up for some mold breaking? I know I am.