Tuesday, October 16, 2007

CCDA speaker: Shane Claiborne


shane_stern.jpg
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.


With governments that Kill...we will not comply.
With the theology of Empire...we will not comply.
With the business of Militarism...we will not comply.
With the hoarding of Riches...we will not comply.
With the dissemination of Fear...we will not comply.

But today, we pledge our ultimate allegiance to the Kingdom of God...we pledge allegiance.

To the peace that is not like Rome's...we pledge allegiance.
To the gospel of enemy love...we pledge allegiance.
To the kingdom of the poor and the broken...we pledge allegiance.
To the king who loved his enemies so much He died for them...we pledge allegiance.
To the least of these, with whom Christ dwells...we pledge allegiance.
To the transnational Church that transcends that artificial borders of nations...we pledge allegiance.
To the Refugee of Nazareth...we pledge allegiance.
To the homeless Rabbi who had no place to lay His head...we pledge allegiance.
To the Cross rather than the Sword...we pledge allegiance.
To the Banner of Love above any flag...we pledge allegiance.
To the One who rules with a towel rather than an iron fist...we pledge allegiance.
To the One who rides a donkey rather than a war horse...we pledge allegiance.
To the Revolution that sets both oppressed and oppressors free...we pledge allegiance.
To the Way that leads to Life...we pledge allegiance.
To the Slaughtered Lamb...we pledge allegiance.
...
In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit...Amen.


I got more thought provoking stuff out of this guys 10 minute talk than a lot of the other speakers at the conference. I have read his book but in person...wow, radical to say the least.

-http://www.irresistiblerevolution.org/

2 comments:

Todd Bacon said...

Tried to view that site.. it's a mess. Because I'm on a pc? Looks like it loads over and over and over.. can't read anything. But I do get to see the lovely picture.

I'm not sure what to think from just reading your post. Sounds like a liberal. Good luck with all that peace talk visiting the streets of Syria.

Unknown said...

strange you cant see his site? Humm, not sure why, its clear when I view it. As for Shane being a liberal...yep, I think so. I'm not saying I endorse everything he thinks or says..but man, so much that pumps out of christian circles all sounds the same these days.

I guess to me it is refreshing to hear someone speak that makes you want to throw him off the cliff. Kind of like the people of Jesus' home town. I am thinking about questions that dont seem to be getting answered from the typical christian right. I am no longer sure about the answers I have been given. I am not saying that I agree with the conclusions being presented by liberals but...I am not sure if I can flesh out the end result of much of the direction the religious right seems to be heading towards these days. It is frustrating to me. It seems to me that much of the conversation is sounding less and less like the Jesus of the gospels. Does Jesus have any answers for Syria beyond a pistol to the head? I wrestle with it.