Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Women of the Wild West...

"Our stay in Salt lake City amounted to only two days, and therefore we had no time to make the customary inquisition into the workings of polygamy and get up the usual statistics and deductions predatory to calling the attention of the nation at large once more to the matter. I had the will to do it. With the gushing self sufficiency of youth I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve a great reform here....until I saw the Mormon women. Then I was touched. My heart was wiser than my head. It warmed toward these poor, ungainly and pathetically "homely" creatures, and as I turned to hide the generous moisture in my eyes, I said, "No, the man that marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind, not the harsh censure; and the man that marries sixty of them has done a deed of openhanded generosity so sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence." -Mark Twain, in his book: "Roughing it"

What can I say...it made me laugh out loud. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a kick, I love his wry humor.
Dad