Monday, July 14, 2003

The fellowship of His sufferings:

Last night I was in Martin Hall Youth Detention Center sharing with young offenders and touched on something that makes me come alive.

I was talking to a 13 year old girl named "Chelsea" who had been in Martin Hall 4 times. She had waved me over to talk after the short message during our biweekly outreach service and sharing time.

She was relating to some things I had said and was starting to share more, when all of a sudden a fight broke out among two young guys. The guards quickly subdued the melee and then told us we had to leave. A very normal procedure due to the volatile atmosphere.

I was so disappointed because I was on the verge of a very profitable conversation with Chelsea. As I stood up and told her I would pray for her, I could see the disappointment in her eyes too. I stood there suspended in that place where time seems to stop and God's heart is heard pounding with an ache that seems to be louder than what is going on around me. That moment when you can see the heart of a child that is longing for love, for meaning, for sharing. Those moments are desperately holy to me. Moments like those bring the reality of Jesus's words about being in the "least of these".

I left feeling the sorrow of God, I could taste His tears in my soul. I know the fellowship of His sufferings, the man of sorrows, in those moments. A bitter cup to sip from, I can't imagine what He feels drinking to the dregs...


No comments: