Sunday, September 12, 2004

Our gay friends...

There was a boy in my high school, named Roger. It's not really his name. I'm just giving him the name Roger. We knew he was gay and the day he was most at pain was the day of gym because after we played some games we had to go into the shower and he would never go into the shower with us.

When we left the shower, we took our wet towels and would sting his body by whipping the towels at him. As we walked past Roger we would whip the towels at Roger and sting him and we thought it was great fun to see this queer dance under our taunts. We thought it was fun to work on him.

I wasn't there the day they shoved him into the corner of the shower and 5 guys urinated all over him. But that night Roger went home and went into his garage and he hung himself.
-Tony Campolo

For more on the subject you can read his article here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This posting made me cry... As did the pictures of 9/11. How can we be capable of such evil and yet we all have done it. It's easy to say that we never had and never will....but how many people have I walked past that are dying on the inside, slowly being killed and done nothing. How many times have I closed my mouth, turned my head, and fed myself another excuse. How many people could I have brought hope and life to? It breaks my heart and spirit overwhelmingly. How can life get that bad? I sit and weep in guilt.

Unknown said...

Me too...I think of the countless times I have done nothing or said nothing. Shame is all I can wear. Tears are my best beginning. I thought of using a quote from a gay priest in my sermon last Saturday but didn't because I was afraid people would draw the wrong perception of my stance on gay issues...I feel ashamed of that.

Truth is truth no matter who shares it. And truth is often arrived at through suffering and the pain of a homosexual is as real as a heterosexual...shame on me for being such a wimp.