Thursday, September 09, 2004

Why I passed on the PASSION

Here is an article that finally sums up why I have not paid money to see the Passion of the Christ movie.

All of this isn't a reflection at all on the movie but on the machine that is grinding up the beauty of artistic expression and sincere faith. I admire Mel Gibson and his achievement as a filmmaker...I abhor the moneychangers that are pressing their filthy lucre stained, high pressured sales boot on religious consumers necks.

I refuse to exploit the most holy event in the history of eternity to make some bucks.

It's worst than making money of the deaths of the 9-11 victims. Imagine if there were t-shirts, cards, mugs, books, photos, bookmarks, software, mousepads, pins, bumperstickers, church signs, posters all using that tragedy to make a dollar. It sickens me. Am I overracting? Maybe but it sure seems there isn't many that are even looking at what is going on as the dogs take another buck out of your religious wallet.

Shame on us for using the blood to make a buck.

Double shame on us for allowing others to manipulate our religious emotions to put the pearl of great price in their bank.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does everything have to come back to money? Is everything about being exploited? The deaths on 9/11 were no show of love. If the Passion is about terrorism or death, then don't go see it. I believe it to be a movie of love that pierced my heart, made me think and brought some scriptures to life. Not many things that I use my "religious buck" for do that. You can say that I waste my cash on alot of things, but I believed this movie to be money well spent.

Scott P.

Unknown said...

I'm not at all saying the movie isn't worth seeing. The very fact that it has brought Jesus and his passion to the forefront of much public focus is awesome! I am not bashing the movie at all...I have not seen it.

It's the monolithic juggernaut of mass promotion that is troubling to me. An issue for some and not to others. It reminds me of an old Keith Green tract I read that explained why they sought to give away their music. I will look up that article and see if I can link to it.