Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The way of Love...


The way of love... Posted by Hello

"We have failed to understand and internalize the biblical teaching that our fundamental sin is not our evil as though the solution for sin was to become good, but our getting life from what we believe is our knowledge of good and evil. Our fundamental sin is that we place ourselves in the position of God and divide the world between what we judge to be good and what we judge to be evil. And this judgment is the primary thing that keeps us from doing the central thing God created and saved us to do, namely, love like he loves.

Because we do not usually understand and internalize the nature of our foundational sin, we usually think our job as Christians is to embrace a moral system, live by it, and thus to be good people in contrast to all those who are evil. In fact, I shall argue, God's goal for us is much more profound and much more beautiful than merely being good..." (excerpt from the article)

This article made me weep in a fresh breeze of revelation.
The whole imagery of which tree are you eating from, hit me like a quiet voice on a fiery mountain side.
Don't be spooked at the first picture you will see, the article is not focused on that issue or a defense for legitimizing it...simply read. If your heart has grown calloused by living under law and seeking to be good enough, this article may be a drink of cool water. -Eric

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric,
What an awesome article! How powerful the church will become when she lives out love above all else. Thank you for posting this article. I ordered the book this excerpt is from. I can't wait to read it.
Neue

Unknown said...

Neue,
I am so glad you read this article! I was hoping that it wouldn't get skipped over for just the titillating stuff.

The article is profound in it's core truth. I have been deeply touched by the truth within it. For some reason it unlocked something within...and a gentle freedom came. I was able to receive His love in a fresh and tender way...in a much needed way.

I too am getting the book. I had by chance, another one of his books in my personal library already, which I am reading too.