Sunday, January 01, 2006

Chasing daylight...

I'm chasing daylight,

The place with no night,

Where the moons out of my sight,

chasing daylight.

 

Looking for the place lit only with His face,

Where rivers chase and tears are erased.

Still chasing daylight.

 

Stars are falling,

Whispers are calling,

Footsteps are haunting,

Bottles are filling,

And the prayers are spilling.

 

Enduring the darkness,

Waiting for the dawn,

Clinging to you,

For who knows how long.

 

I'm still chasing daylight.

-Eric Blauer 12.31.05

 

Before I go...and shall not return...to the land of darkness and deep shadow.

The land of utter gloom as darkness itself, of deep shadow without order,

and which shines as the darkness. -Job 10:21

 

Job you're so cryptic and dramatic. Your words capture the atmospheres of depression so vividly. You know darkness like only a poet can. The shinning of darkness, the orderless reality of shadow. Gloom as a place to inhabit. Going to a place that you cannot return from because you will never be the same after being there.

 

This poem was spun in tears and supplication in my morning worship.

My guitar and voice spilling out as a plea of faith for the New Year.

To live in the land of light again.

To find my way back to the place where the sun is not needed because His face illuminates the city of my inner dwelling.

To leave the moon's light and see it dawn again.

To once again dance not in faith but in possession.

To laugh and know it comes from a merry heart.

To love again in the face of fear.

1 comment:

FCB said...

Great poem. One thing you can dance about is the comments from everyone about you children. From all your siblings and everyone that takes a moment to chat with them. I am so proud of them I could burst. Fruit, much fruit. The proof is in the coming generation, all the rest is so much church talk. Show me a man's children and you will know if the man's on track or not.
You are on track!
Love Dad