Monday, January 30, 2006

Feels good, to not feel bad...

This whole working out thing has presented me with a host of new problems...especially concerning clothes! All my clothes are too big now, I look like a gangster hobbling around with too baggy pants and oversized shirts. So today I was able to afford to pick up a new pair of pants and a shirt. I know it's not much of a prayer request but it's still a pain but a good pain to have.

I also went skiing Saturday with the youth church and I really noticed the change in me there. My legs usually feel like they are on fire and I am shot by the end of the day. But not so this time, my legs were fine and normally I am so sore the next day but on Sunday my calves were a bit tender but other than that...nothing. Amazing!

It feels good, to not feel bad.

I find that working out is one sphere that I have almost complete control over. What I put into it, is what I get out of it. I sow, I reap and it is visible. With so many other spheres that simply isn't always the case. It's rewarding to have one thing that you know you can see results within. The harder you work the better you get. In so many other things that may be true in eternity or in the long haul but often you have to walk in faith, seeing the unseen. But in the gym you can walk by sight with perseverance and sweat.

I think as a man and as a human being we need to have both. Something to wrap our hands around and be able to push against is essential to increasing motivation in the other less rewarding duties. At least I have found renewed energy in caring for the temple of the Holy Spirit.


That man is successful who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much, who has gained the respect of the intelligent men and the love of children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who leaves the world better than he found it, whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in others and gave the best he had.
- Robert Louis Stevenson (From Scott's blog)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your looking great my man! It's a whole new look. I'm sorry I bolted out of church last night. I had an AA meeting to get to at 7:30. I would like to catch up with you soon my friend. That quote from Stevenson might best sum up everything I want out of life. Everything I want to be. I want to look for the best in others and give the best I have to all I come in to contact with. Thanks for the post. Take care.
Neue

Dachel said...

We've had our own health accomplishments/battles in our household. With Dave walking around the plant so much, he's shed some pounds and can fit into his new "designer" jeans. I, however, freaked out and went on an eating rampage when I found out I was pregnant; now I'm sick and my cravings/aversions change almost as much as my hormones.

Speaking of emotional status, has anyone seen Dave lately?

FCB said...

O.K. it's time for some pictures, but please not in the thong you wear when working out!!!!!!!!!
Kidding aside, it's good and motivating to hear about the results you're getting. Exercise is so theraputic, and when begun seems like it spills into so many areas. One word of advice is to try and craft a regiment that is chanllenging but not so arduous that you dread it; it should be a program you can see yourself following for the balance of your life and you find yourself eager to get to the gym.
I liked that, "a man needs something to push against." I find those vending machines just the ticket. :)

Unknown said...

I have found that my body craves the workout now. I am itching to get back in after my day off on Sunday. The pace is fast but there is something meditative about it. The rhythm, the music, the sweat, the breathing. It's tough but euphoric too at times. I am in phase one of my workout goals and will change to phase two when I hit my desired weight, which is around 210.