Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Old books...


Old book
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.
There will, if we follow our vision, be a time and an opportunity for the blossoming of our desires, the fulfillment of our ambition, the ripening of our ideals, for they are the petals in the closed bud which find an opportunity, sometime, somewhere, to open up and fling out their fragrance and beauty without blight or bruise to strangle growth. -Orison S. Marden

The Creator never mocked us with yearning for that which we have no ability or possibility of attaining; that our heart longings and aspirations are prophecies, forerunners, indications of the existence of the obtainable reality... Orison Swett Marden "The Miracle Of Right Thought" 1910

I found this book in a used bookstore in Lincoln City, Oregon, a small coastal town that we vacationed in this last week. I treasure my other hard bound copies of Orison Swett Marden's books and this was a great find, well worth the $40 I paid for it. You can get reprints of most of his work online but you have to hunt to find these old, hard bound copies. Finding them is like finding treasure to me...especially since my dad was there too and he didn't find it first! Used bookstores like this one are priceless to me. It frustrates me that all the big franchises and the internet are pushing these kind of stores into the margins. I would rather buy a book face to face in a store that obviously loves books than in one of these slick stores or non-fragrant websites. The store I bought this book in had all kinds of great artifacts hanging on the walls and ceilings...spears, arrow heads, shark teeth, old paintings etc...sooooo deliciously atmospheric.

We had a great trip to Oregon but I didn't get to go to my favorite bookstores while we were there. Micah got sick and the heat and humidity was so severe, we decided to come back a day early, which meant I had to miss my book hunt day in Portland. Oh the agony! It was a real bummer...I miss having access to good bookstores and especially ones that carry a great selection of used books. Spokane is really hurting when it comes to good used book stores. In fact...I can't think of one. There is a good one in Coure, D' Alene but the religion section stinks, as do most around here.

I plan to create a space in our church that will become a small book store that will focus on mainly old writers...Dead Guys often speak the loudest to me it seems. Hopefully we can see it grow and become a local source for people to encounter the truth that is hidden away in these fragile and dusty yet, life giving old books.

1 comment:

FCB said...

Well, I'd say the two quotes you posted by Orison are worth at least ten bucks.
I knew I should have gone there while I was waiting for you to get to town. Blast!!!!!!!!!!
No mercy next time.
That web-site on him is worth its weight in gold!