Thursday, September 04, 2008

Obama and Abortion...

I am not a one issue voter, but I am seriously wrestling with Obama's positions and record on the issue of abortion and contraception:

In his write-in response to a 1998 survey, Obama stated his abortion position as: "Abortions should be legally available in accordance with Roe v. Wade." While serving in the Illinois Senate, Obama received a 100 percent rating from the Illinois Planned Parenthood Council for his support of abortion rights. Since his election to the United States Senate Obama has maintained a 100 percent rating from Planned Parenthood (as of 2007) and NARAL (as of 2005). Obama opposed the Induced Infant Liability Act. Obama is reported to have opposed it because of technical language that might have interfered with a woman's right to choose and because Illinois law already required medical care in such situations, even though the third version of this bill contained explicit language affirming Roe vs. Wade.

Obama voted against the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, saying "I think that most Americans recognize that this is a profoundly difficult issue for the women and families who make these decisions. They don't make them casually. And I trust women to make these decisions in conjunction with their doctors and their families and their clergy." Obama voted against a bill that made it a federal crime for anyone other than a parent to accompany a minor across state lines to obtain an abortion. The bill was signed into law by President Bush in 2005. Obama has, however, expressed support of bans on late-term abortions, provided they include exemptions for the life or health of a mother. Obama voted for a $100 million education initiative to reduce teen pregnancy and provide contraceptives to young people.

4 comments:

MaryMGlynn said...

I am gracefully saying my opinion. He is a snake in sheep's clothing...

Anyone who can support the slaughter of children will NEVER have my vote! Wonder if he asked Jesus, well God I agree there should be a limit on how many partial abortions there are and I even offered the pill and a condom.
Does it make it better..not really

I would go into all the other things that he believes are wrong but I will not!
Palin is a woman with some grace but the strength to carry the weight. And also believes in family, children with disabilities and believes in fighting for our freedom on and on and on...

Todd Bacon said...

Eric.. you are your own dog to be sure.. but I'm incredibly surprised that this isn't already a moot point.

I don't understand how, given his track record, you could even consider Obama/Biden.

Even if you throw out the abortion issue, this guy is bad news. A guy who couldn't make up his mind and voted "present" 130 times is not who we need leading our country.

Dangerous times indeed.

Unknown said...

I'm just throwing out stuff from both sides, even though I got my own position. I think people should get a chance to be heard on the positions. This is a political campaign and I try to hear both sides at every election. It's tough to find many political parties or leaders that express my faith in policy and values. It's interesting to me that people expect Kingdom values to be present in world systems. We look for godly leaders to rule world powers...a shaky platform in my opinion. I rest in the fact that God has reveled through scripture that He holds the heart of any king in his hands and can direct it as He pleases. Politics matter, voting matters...understanding the issues is important and I'm full of opinions on the issues...as a pastor thats a fine line to walk...but this is my blog not my pulpit, so I get to express my good old American rights here.

Anonymous said...

"I rest in the fact that God has reveled through scripture that He holds the heart of any king in his hands and can direct it as He pleases."

I agree BUT the problem is that many Christians I talk to have this spin on things in a apathetic sense. They say, "well, I know God puts the rulers in place so we can trust God is in control". What I struggle with is the knowledge that God will put rulers in place to judge us, not because he thinks the leader is 'a good pick'. I fear Gods judgment of our nation and pray that he would give us mercy for the most Godly leadership possible this next election.

Also, I am a one issue voter. Obama's lip service to ban late term abortion is a bunch of bull crap! LIfe and health of the mother is so vauge it can mean the emotional health of the mother as well.

Why would I trust a man to lead our nation on ANY issues if he supports this....there are just no words to describe the deep evil of partial birth abortion.

Lord have mercy.