Wednesday, September 28, 2005

No Direction Home...

I watched the Martin Scorsese film called No Direction Home about Bob Dylan, the last two nights on PBS. I thought it was amazing. I am still trying to formulate my thoughts on the many different aspects of the film that seemed to move me deeply and I have not got there yet. But a few things that jumped out at me and grabbed me by the throat were:
 
This lyric form a live clip of him performing: It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding):
 
From the fool's gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays wasted words
Proves to warn
That he not busy being born
Is busy dying.
-Bob Dylan
 
Not busy being born, is busy dying...man that jumped on my chest like a frantic parent trying to resuscitate a drowned child.
 
I was also so moved by seeing the power of poetry in that era. Hearing and watching Dylan pour out his guts in all his unfettered rawness was so freaking inspirational to me. I was mesmerized. I also thoroughly enjoyed the portions of conversation with Joan Baez. She was sooooo...in your face in a good sense, refreshingly spunky and full of grit.
 
The whole 60's part of the film was more moving than anything I have ever seen on that part of our history for some reason. The film seemed to capture something of the idealism and unsettling upheaval for me. Maybe I simply had not seen and heard about that time through the bard's eyes.
 
It also made me long for a time when poetry might again be the combustible material it has the potential to be.
 
Oh Lord of the Flame give me Seraphim's fire on my tongue again.
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't see it but wish I would have. Not because I worship Dylan like I used too, but even after I came off that I still really enjoy his music and style. I think the trick to being a Dylan-head is to not talk about it with other Dylan-heads, it might ruin it for you (their such geeks). But you should check out DA Pennebakers "Don't Look Back", made in 1965, classic film about Dylan touring England at the time when his sets were half acoustic and half electric. -Matt