Monday, September 19, 2005

speaking in a vacuum...

To preach the gospel and to say that in Christ there is life without being able to show something of the reality of that life is to speak in a vacuum.

 

If you are a Christian, don't be ashamed of it. Work out of the fullness of your being and give the best you have. You can never be better than you are. Be ashamed to be less, but you fall into pride and foolishness if you want to be more. This means do not be afraid. Live out your freedom. Do not let this be spoiled by your sinfulness. Sin takes freedom away. Walk in his way, yes, but this must be done out of your own convictions, out of your own understanding, in love and freedom. It is never just the application of some rules, some do’s and some don’ts. It is more real, more honest. It should be a commitment. - Hans Rookmaaker

 

There is so much that could be said about these quotes, but I am not sure if I could articulate what they really mean to me. They embody a lot of my spiritual wrestling of the last few years. Yearning to emerge out of the vacuum life both personally and as the church. Learning to walk in His way but from my own convictions, which to me means living from who I am, not from whom I or other people, think I should be.

Abandoning perception for reality.

2 comments:

Scott Patershall said...

Bro, these are deep, powerful words. What will it take for you to emerge out of the vacuum life? If God is not holding you back, then what is keeping you from walking in freedom before the Lord?

Unknown said...

Death.