Thursday, September 14, 2006

My thoughts on the passion...

I finally saw the Passion of the Christ the other night. I had a lot of thoughts about it...one that being, I wasn't moved as much as I thought I would. Which either says I must be backslidding or It could be that I was able to watch it as a movie, which most people didn't seem to be able to do. It's a modern day icon in my opinion, it's not Jesus but a persons attempt to picture Him for people. I think Mel did an amazing job.

I like some stuff more than others but over all I will buy it for sure. I didnt feel the movie needed more flash back scenes like I heard form many people. I enjoyed the narrow focus of it. I loved the use of original languages, I felt it made it more rich and textured. The bloodiness of it all was perfect in my opinion. I didn't think it was over done...any Jew who is familiar with the amount of bloodshed at a typical temple sacrifice session would know that the bloodiness of it all was biblical and accurate.

I didn't care for most of the Satan stuff...other than the opening scene and a few lurking in the crowd shots. I liked the Judas parts, I felt it fleshed out the back story as it could have been, I mean, the dude killed himself, he had to be tormented.

The whipping scenes was brutal for sure but the nails being hammered was the part that got my queasy meter on 10.

My favorite parts were: the Mary flashback:


And the Mother Mary scene when she flash backed to him falling as a child:


Those two scenes moved me the most and then the part where Peter curses Jesus, that was powerful too. Anyway, I liked it, two thumbs up and I think I will watch it again soon.

4 comments:

Mel said...

This movie was one of the tools that God used to free me from a whole host of useless, deceptive thought patterns. While I was watching it, I kept on saying over and over, "Thank you, Jesus" and "I'm so sorry, Jesus."

What I took from it was the incredible price that Christ payed to redeem me, and how my worth is determined by that more than anything I could ever say or do or be. Also, that if Christ could love and die for the Roman soldiers who took such sick joy in torturing Him, how dare I ever be offended with anyone on this earth for anything they might do to me. Finally, that His was the ultimate demonstration of Divine, unconditional love, and His request was simple -- that we love others as He loves us. That is an awesome calling, responsibility and privilege, and only attainable in any measure at all by the unfathomable grace of God alone. The Passion is one of my all-time favorite movies. We own it and watch it at least once a year, around Easter, as a faith-refreshing reminder of the One to Whom we belong.

MaryMGlynn said...

I remember the first time I watched it on the big screen (def better that way, by the way)and my husband and I were sitting there and though my husband gave His heart to Christ only a short few years prior it wasn't until that night that I ever seen Him cry like a baby in the movie theater. We both were weeping and Brian he was crying hard and asking God for forgiveness and saying sorry for hurting him. My niece Ashlee and her little sister were crying like babies, my teen son Justen was crying. On and on.. This is a movie we can use as a tool to bring repentance and bring people to Christ and that is what makes it moving.
2 thumbs up here too

Unknown said...

It's cool to see how God uses film in so many ways.

Matt said...

It was definately a religious experience for me. I felt many times that I was the abuser. Never Christ. Strange don't you think. It seems like if you watched otherwise or as a unknowing non-believer one would relate more to being Jesus than his torturers. I mean usually we relate to the protagonist in stories and feel for them on that level. I can't think of another movie where I have done this. My favorite (if you can say that) was when Jesus turned to Mary and said something like "see Mother, I make all things new" To me this was just opitimized the sacrificial aspect that I ofen forget. And the fact that Jesus understood what was taking place amidst the pain and suffering.