Sunday, July 29, 2007

It's been one of those weeks...


image-4
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

"Suppose a man has a stubborn, rebellious son who will not obey his father or mother, even though they discipline him....-Deut. 21:18-21

What a way to start a scripture on the wonderful world of parenting:

"Suppose..."

If you know the end of that scripture you know, it's not one you post on the fridge at home. Suppose though...you did have such a child. Parenting is the toughest job around in my opinion...harder than marriage, at least my marriage. Adults are well...adults. Children are unreasoning creatures that wrestle you with underdeveloped brains. Resulting in ample amounts of frustrating moments that can leave you completely exaserbated. I've wanted to put my head in the sand (or stone) and pretend everything is not as it is. How can the very same parents produce such vastly different kids. Raised basically the same and yet... My hope has been hanging with white knuckles on Isaiah 65:22-24:

"No longer will they build houses and others live in them, or plant and others eat. For as the days of a tree, so will be the days of my people; my chosen ones will long enjoy the works of their hands. They will not toil in vain or bear children doomed to misfortune; for they will be a people blessed by the Lord, they and their descendants with them. Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear."

If there is a patron saint of suffering parents...I need to know his or her name.

No comments: