Thursday, July 26, 2007

Red and yellow...black and white...


unity
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

"We have children in our church that will grow up thinking that it is perfectly normal to be part of a church where there are people from literally around the world—together."

I read that quote somewhere and I am thankful it is true for our church too...and I think it's a good thing.

Relocating and starting a church in a more racially diverse part of town has it's challenges. Merging refugees into a growing church has it's strains and pains. But seeing a body developing that is multicultural is sweet fruit indeed. Knowing your children's view of life will be more colored, more rich, expanded and diverse is satisfying. As I sat watching my son Micah playing "Go Fish" with four other kids that barely speak english, I found myself thankful for the stretch. As they were laughing and learning, I realized my son was learning too. Not everyone is crazy about having to stretch or even deal with anyone who is different than they are outwardly. But as you get to know the "stranger" you realize that we are all pretty much the same.

That is a gift worth receiving.

2 comments:

Todd Bacon said...

Great stuff Eric. Man.. God is using your experiences to make me uncomfortable with the status quo.. the comfort zone. We recently returned from an incredible "church camp/bible conference" with people we know from many states (FL, ME, IN, KY, MO, IA, AR) and the feeling of community and like-minded pursuit and worship of the king has me meditating on the positives vs. negatives of remaining at our much-loved mega-church of around 4000ish. We've been there many years and it feels like "home," but something is missing. What you describe it what I think I need/want to be a part of.

Unknown said...

Todd,
I feel for you brother, hard issues to work out. Transition from one step to the next in our journey of faith is always tinged with hope and pained with the loss. No easy way around or through growth and change if the Lord leads us in that direction. I pray for grace and courage and for a dreaming heart that is connected to feet that will move towards the dream. Emotional mirages feel good but the real work is found in walking it all out. We always have ideas about what we think we need and the reality of what we end up getting is always way more than we anticipated. I am sure you would agree. Kind of like marriage...you get way more than you bargained for both good and bad. ;) Good stuff is always made up of challenges, trails and joys unspeakable.
I thank God, if He is using some of our story to encourage and challenge anyone else...it makes all the dung worth it.