Monday, July 23, 2007

a refugee tells his story...


refugee
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

This is an except from a Karen young man's blog that is currently living in a refuggee camp on the Burma/Thailand border:

I lived with my family again for one year. In 1997, the Burmese troops came to our village and destroyed, burned our houses and barns, killed every people they found. When they came and tried to kill us, we had to flee into the jungle. No escape when found. Our life was like wild animals. They killed all old man and children as well as our animals when they found them. They destroyed all of our belongings in the village. I could not live here together with my family anymore. Many people had to flee to border and entered the camps. Some people love their forefather-given homeland very much so they did not move to other places. They just kept themselves hide around the village and live until now. My parents and my sisters also remained around my village in the jungle. Some people moves to Mae Yeh and Klo Pah temporary camp. Before we arrive into the camp we had to move through the shadow of death between the Burmese soldiers’ check points and landmines. We had to come with fear but finally we arrived into the camp well.

I lived in Mae Ra Moe camp for five years. Then in 2001, I came to Mae La camp and live here until now. I always had to live in jungle and camp so sometimes I felt very unhappy and oppressive. Before I die I also would like to see and live in the city and feel the world’s development. Now I apply to go to US too. And now I am waiting for my approvals. And I hope that I will really be there one day. Sometimes I remember and miss my parents and my sisters who are remaining in the difficulty in my village. I want to help them but I can do nothing. But I hope that they will be proud on me when I live in the city on behalf of them. If you see me in US, please talk to me too. Thank you.

So I believe someone will pick a rusty falling key beyond and unlock the door for me. At that time, people will jeer at me completely sure. Because everybody had farewell party before they were going. During my friends’ farewell; I was smile as they were happy and went bright red as they were crying. If my turn finally arrives, none of my friend and neighbor will make a fare well with me. I must carry my package on my own; no one will feel for me and quietly and respectfully get on the bus. There would be no one to wave goodbye with my light hands. I don’t need to turn my head, just sit down and take a look straightly on the road to reach Bangkok and then to my hopeful destiny.

my name is...Saw Klit Mu Htoo

Officially, refugees are persons displaced from their home countries because they were caught in armed conflict or were at risk of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, ethnicity, or political opinions. Every year, the U.S. accepts up to 70,000 of the 14 million refugees worldwide and resettles them, legally and permanently, across the nation.

"They cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He led them by a straight way to a city where they could settle." -Psalms 107:6-7

4 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

The last paragraph of his post 'bout killed me. Especially this line:

"There would be no one to wave goodbye with my light hands. I don’t need to turn my head, just sit down and take a look straightly on the road to reach Bangkok and then to my hopeful destiny."

Anonymous said...

Yes, that got to me as well; and the line-
"If you see me in US, please talk to me."
Fred

Matt said...

We will do more than talk to you, if you call my brother you can stay with him!

Anonymous said...

And thank God we do take them. 70,000 lives so emensely precious to God.

I wish there was no suffering like this. So sobering and makes the heart sad.

-anony mouse