Thursday, July 26, 2007

"When you become a Christian, Jesus will invade your life and make you into somebody he can use to change the world. Through you, he will challenge racism. Through you, Jesus will attack sexism, poverty, and militarism. That was never taught to me when I was growing up. I never heard that I could be an instrument that God could use to change the world. All I was told was that being a Christian meant I would go to heaven when I died. I was never told that the primary reason Jesus saved me was to make me into somebody whom he could use to change the world into the kind of world he willed for it to be when he created it." - Tony Campolo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great quote.
I would add that somewhat like Tony, I was made to think salvation for the most part was to perfect the flesh, witness and tithe. That was and often is, the greatest thrust of many churches I have attended. But of course as Ephesians states, " .....we are created in Christ Jesus for good works."
But when one is on a fuller mission, to not only do what I stated above, but to see that without Christians, oppression will continue, the widow will have little hope, the starving will go unfed, in short, evil will overcome. When one brings the light of the Gospel, he brings a cheerful heart with a mission of freedom, both spiritual and physical, a hand bearing the necessities of life, an ear to listen with, a heart of love to console the downcast,a purpose for all, each useing their gifts as God equips to overcome evil and change the world. What a God, what a message, what a glorious work.
"Thy will be done on earth..."
Dad

Anonymous said...

Well put. That's the world's rub with Jesus isn't it? He wants the world to change. And how we hate change... -Matt