Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The way of love...

This was from my morning devotion:

"This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one
another. Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and
murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own
actions were evil and his brother's were righteous. Do not be
surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you. We know that we have
passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who
does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a
murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him. -1
John 3:11-15

My prayer:

"God, I do not want to walk in the way of Cain, lead me not into
temptation and deliver me from evil.

Save me first and foremost from myself...my anger, selfishness,
irritability, impatience, crankiness, lack of understanding,
bitterness, unforgiveness and hate.

Pluck out the seeds that if watered and allowed to grow; end up
destroying this world you created.

Teach me to love...even those who are my enemies. Help me to believe
that love is the more excellent way and that love never fails and will
always win.

Love this evil world...through this evil heart. Help me to see that
roots of hate...produce the fruits of murder.

I long to live forever and trust you that the way of eternal life
is...love.

2 comments:

Darin said...

Eric,

I join with you in this prayer. Although, the part "Love this evil world...through this evil heart" concerns me. Shouldn't we as believers pray that God love this evil world through the new hearts that he has given us? I'm not trying to "catch" you here, in some false doctrine. If you simply mean that our hearts can go astray, then I get it.
I'm very sensitive to the false belief that the Christian's heart is evil. Something that I was taught at a young age and caused me to conclude that I should seek to run away from, even kill my (evil) heart.

Darin

Unknown said...

I simply mean that I believe God works through us.

Some try to invalidate our responsability to obey the teachings of Jesus by infering that only God can truly act out that kind of life.

I believe all believers sin but that sin doesn't mean God can't love this world through me.