Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Sometimes I wonder if prayer matters...
"The Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone He wishes and sets over them the lowliest of men."
-Daniel 4:17

"The Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone He wishes..."
-Daniel 4:25

"Heaven Rules."
-Daniel 4:26

These verses spoke to my heart.
They reminded me of the spiritual pleadings of men of God for their nations.
Priestly prayers, spiritual incense.
The yearnings, the intercession, the groanings from within, the spirit sighs that speak deeper than words.

God gives nations to the lowliest of men, I think I might qualify for that title.
Dare I pray with such boldness, such conviction?
Does Heaven really rule? Does it matter if I pray?

I remember weeping in the early morning hours in a hostel in Amsterdam. Trying not to be too loud as ripples of spiritual birth pains emerged from within and spilled out in supplications for the city..in that moment I believed.

I remember worshiping in the biblestudy room in the hostel with Lee, David and Angie; singing "God is in Control" to a simple guitar. In that moment as the music and the voices penetrated the atmosphere like fragrant incense...I believed.

I remember watching a young woman from our youth church weep at the site of the prostitues in the red light district...in that moment as those tears rolled down her cheeks...I believed.

I remember and it is in remembering that I find myself again and again and that leads me to believe that prayer does matter.


No comments: