Monday, September 01, 2003

"You must turn, then, back to myth---tomorrow and the next day and the next. Read the battle of Helms Deep; it's chapter 7 of the two Towers."
"You'll need everything that helps you see with the eyes of your heart, including those myths, and the way they illumine for us the words God has given in scipture..." -John Eldredge "Waking the Dead" pg. 220-2.

This was one of those moments that strike you like lightening! If you read my previous posts and have heard me speak at all in the last year, you know that this is exactly what I have been led to do. Even to the point of speaking on Helms Deep! In fact I just recently reread that chapter and posted on it a while back! That's a serendipity do-dah!


I must confess, John Eldredge's books have been powerful tools in my journey over the last year. I just finished his new one "Waking The Dead", an awesome book! I've read "The journey of desire", "Wild at heart" and I'm about half way through "Sacred Romance" (This has been my least fave so far but still good).

1 comment:

Mel said...

"Waking the Dead" changed my life. Don't you just love it when something you read or hear embodies so profoundly what God has already been speaking to you? It's like walking in on or overhearing a conversation between two people who are talking in glowing terms about your very favorite something... There's an instant connection and multiplied joy in the mutual recognition and enjoyment of something of value.