Tuesday, October 11, 2005

If you cannot work with love...

Work is love made visible. And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.
- Kahlil Gibran
 
Enough wisdom right there to cause one to stare into their navel until one has found himself right back in the womb. Are we able to love our work? Imagine if what we all did today was done with love or should I say passion, be it, laundry, sales, speaking, driving or purchasing?
 
Maybe we need to sit at the gate and ponder the faces of those going by that enter with joy or at least have a deep sense of doing life consciously and not painfully vacant.
 
I am seeking to move from sitting to giving out of love...love of life, of truth, of sincerity and from the soul.
 
Get up...echoes at the gate. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric,
What a profound post. I am sitting here at work just grumbling because I'm tired and I don't want to be here. Very convicting. I am praying that the rest of today and everyday I will do everything that I do with love for love out of love. Not my love for it is but a worthless rag, but His love that is everything. Thank you for this post.
Neue

Unknown said...

Well, this post haunted me as I was trimming the hedges at the church. I could feel the ache coming on yesterday as I was laboring away. I always get a massive headache when I do shrubs, something about the reach, my back or something. As I was sitting there looking at the huge job and how many years I have had to do these...this quote came creeping up my spine and stung me in the head like a moral scorpion. Ouch! Blasted truth. But I am glad you liked it...I am sure it will find you as it did me.

Anonymous said...

It speaks to me as someone who has done work lately that I do love to do, and also work that I hate to do. I'm currently researching on starting my own business so I can do what I love to do. Pray it works out.

Anonymous said...

I did what I thought I loved and found out it wasn't. I did what I hated and quit. I loved what I misplaced and lost it. I gave up on loving and found out I gave up longing instead.

Unknown said...

Do not grow weary or lose heart...-Hebrews 12:3.

What a challenge, what a call, its about as radical as eat my flesh and drink my blood, or love your enemies or die to your self or pick up your cross or sell all you have and give to the poor or blessed are the meek.