Thursday, October 20, 2005

Is your church a poker up the butt...

OURS IS A CHRIST CENTERED CONTEMPORARY CHURCH WITH GRAT (sic) WORSHIP, SOUND TEACHING, AND NO POKER UP IT'S BUTT. YOUNG AND OLD WELCOME. COMFORTABLE CLOTHES, TATOOS AND PIERCINGS WELCOME. LOTS OF CELL GROUPS. A VERY COOL PLACE. -Church Listing , Relevant Magazine October 17th, 2005
I saw this on Dick Staubs site and it made me laugh. A poker up the butt...man, that describes it well, doesn't it! We are so painfully prone to such a religious attitude. I wonder how many people visit us and leave saying that to themselves. I know that I have left many a meeting and asked myself why I seemed like I had a poker up my butt. Lighten up man...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I've always felt that our church is pretty painless and that's why people tend to stick once they come. It's the deeper, back of the scenes stuff that gets uncomfortable.

We do have poker though!

jimmy said...

I used to go to a church that had a strict poker up the butt rule. Sucked. I had to limp my way right out that door and find a new church.