Friday, May 05, 2006

Art phobia...

Life is pure flame, and we live by an invisible sun within us.
- Sir Thomas Browne (1605-1682)

To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their mind and their conscience are defiled. -Titus 1:15

When I read these quotes, I think about some conversations I have had about "art" and it's inclusion as a major element of our new church. Some people are skittish about the use of the arts in the church. I am not sure where such phobias are bred but I have never had such fears. I think art helps expand our interaction with truth and life. 

I have always wondered why art isn't more a part of the general atheistic of our buildings and gathering places. We don't seem to be phobic of art in our homes, instead we surround ourselves with visual representations of who we are and what we love. Shouldn't the same tangible realities be experienced when one comes in-contact with the gathered house of the Lord? Does not creation itself express something glorious and yet infinitely complex about the God we serve? 

As we explore this within our own congregation, I find great excitement as we dream about all the possibilities that are before us. As we make room for creativity and shared creation, it's great to discover the artistic light that is beginning to dawn or has been shinning in all kinds of hearts and lives.

I think artists have a keen ability to find purity in all things, much like our God. 

2 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

Dude, like right on. I spoke at our Wensday night youth group about how we serve a creative God and how He has given us the ability to be creative. I love God, I love art. I see no where in Scripture that God doesn't love art.

Viva le art! (is it 'la' or 'le'?)

MaryMGlynn said...

A good artest can show the soul of someone through the eyes of the person they are drawing, however the Lord uses all types of art to show us His exsistance! Look around you, all is art God created! Your right on!!