Thursday, May 11, 2006

A homeless man named Jesus...

Sometimes we speak out to try to change the world, and other times we
speak to try to keep the world from changing us. -Elie Weisel, author
and holocaust survivor.

Lately I have really been wrestling with the gospel as a "way" VS the
gospel as "belief". I am finding that to believe something requires
little of me but to follow a "way of living" can really begin to
expose my life. I am discovering that when one starts to look at
Jesus as someone to follow instead of someone to simply believe in,
the cost of the gospel starts to be felt. Changing ideas and beliefs
to enhance my life is one thing but leaving something to follow the
master is another thing altogether.

It is one thing to understand the forgiveness of God and having to
ask for forgiveness from someone I hurt.

It's one thing to give some money in an offering plate and another
thing to sell my house.

Learning to get along with people that I already know and care about
and might experience friction with or annoyance, is one thing, but
learning to love people that hurt me or use me or are my enemies is
quite another.

I am seeing a pattern in my suburbanized life...it's called upward
mobility.
The idea that one must always progress towards economic increase. The
goal being the acquisition and continual pursuit of wealth, position
and security. The underlining premise being that more is always
better or bigger is somehow more preferred.

I am finding that such values seem to stumble over the LIFE of Jesus.
I am wrestling with His priorities, values and His WAY, compared to
the modern churches way. I know that is a broad generalization but at
this moment I can't articulate it all perfectly. I am seeing the
light being cast from the life of Jesus and it is making some shadows
stand out in my own life.

I realize that much of my writing has stemmed from trying to avoid
being changed or conformed instead of changing others. I feel a
pressure from without and an uneasy voice from within that is calling
me to embody THE WAY more fully and more radically than I have.

I hear the call of the gospel reverberating through footsteps of a
homeless man named Jesus...and He is saying "come follow me".

7 comments:

FCB said...

"I realize that much of my writing has stemmed from trying to avoid
being changed or conformed instead of changing others"

That is a penetrating line.

The entire post is convicting.
Love Dad

Mel said...

I agree that the post is convicting. Being the practical person that I am, my question is, what should our living "The Way" in deed and truth LOOK LIKE to today's world? I'd love to hear what the people who read this blog think...

When I read the Bible and consider it in its entire being, not just one verse here or one section there, one of the recurring themes I see in regards to how we should act towards other people is this--unconditional love without prejudice or judgment, love that is consistently and tangibly expressed in action through relationship, giving and service. I see this as our highest calling as Christians and the one by which the world will be the most deeply impacted.

Your post causes me to pause and think... I have thought for many years (and still do) that belief equals action-- That if a person says or thinks they believe something but their actions don't bear witness, they don't really believe it. Or perhaps they want to believe it, but the truth hasn't been rooted into the deepest parts of their hearts yet. But if that's true, how is the unconditional love that I "believe" is so important being truly expressed through my life and actions?

Thank you, again, for giving me something to "chew on"... :)

FCB said...

Mel, I agree with what you posted and in particular-
"perhaps they want to believe it, but the truth hasn't been rooted into the deepest parts of their hearts yet."
I think that is the key sentence in your post. I might say that we often are a true Christian but lack a vision. A vision our hearts truly burns with. I am convinced each Christian should have at least one cause they are carrying a torch for. This cause may differ at different times of one's walk, and may initially be just to get more of Jesus and His teachings. But as we grow we need to have a cause that has captured our hearts, one we are happy to sacrifice for. A cause that we bleed for, pray for and want, I mean really want to see accomplished.
James Dobsen said often children in Christian homes are taught to be defensive players at Christianity, and not offensive. They are taught what not to do. But they typically are not shown what to do. They battle the temptations, but are rarely involved in a ministry, as a child, that they are passionate about.
Sadly, I think as adults we often do the same thing. Is there something we are willing and wanting to sacrifice for? Are we storming the gates of hell at some corner? Are we moved with sympathy, moved to action, like you mentioned? Or is Christianity duty only? Duty is a difficult motivater. I could go on at length about this but suffice to say I think each person should not be content until they find something that truly moves them to action. Read, watch documentaries, look into other's personal ministries where God is already working, examine yourself and the things that move your heart and find something to be courageous about.

It is a good one to chew on.
Fred

Unknown said...

It really amazes me how many people say they "believe" something but fail to live it out. It is one thing to humbly admit that there are many aspects of our faith that we all long to embody more fully; but to say with our mouth one thing and then another with our lives is creating so much dissonance in the church and relationships. It is better to be hot of cold then to continue to prolong a lukewarm expereince with our faith. People are looking for reality, for truth, for a way, for a life not just some new ideas to think about. We are called to follow the way of our Lord not just the thoughts of our Lord.

Mel said...

Well said, as always, Pastor Eric.

Fred,

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I didn't get to read them until this morning. I'm going to print them out and share them with my kids during our family time tonight.

The ministries that I feel called to more and more are nursing home ministry and reaching out to the homeless. The nursing home idea is something that was birthed in my heart many years ago, and just in the last few months, I have felt a desire to jump in with both feet and get involved. I have been trying to get my kids excited about these things, too, but perhaps there are other ministries and areas of service available that they would feel more passionate about. In any event, it is something we'll be talking about and looking into further.

By the way, if anyone knows anyone who's involved in nursing home ministry here in Spokane, would you please let me know?

FCB said...

Mel,
I happen to have a paper on nursing home ministry. It is a practical guide to help people feel prepared and equipped when they visit in the beginning. Nursing home ministry is one of the few ministries where the Orphan, the widow, the maimed, lame and the blind are all in one place. It also has its peculiarities that are best to be prepared for and some simple do's and some don'ts. For example a don't-- don't move someone in a wheel chair without asking or letting them know. Now a do-- After you have been introduced, do touch, the sense of touch is one of the last senses to go.
If you need the information ask Eric for my email.
Regards,
Fred

Unknown said...

Mel,

Here is a part of the scripture I used this Sunday to talk about just what this does look like:

When you give a banquet, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives or your rich neighbors...
-Jesus in Luke 14:12-14

There is the way...will we follow it?

The way jesus lived out His life is upside down from the way we most often do. Until we start living out this kind of life we will not have the same kind of transformation that the early church saw and had.

We talk a lot about us, some about others and little about Him and wonder why we don't see His kingdom more.

We have lost the Way and the Life that sandwich the truth in christ.