Saturday, October 28, 2006

Bite Me!


hack and slash
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.
Well I had to go back into the doctors today. I woke up and could feel the egg sized knot under my armpit skin swelling to a exploding level of pressure. It really hurt to even have my arm at my side. So I first took matters into my own hand and decided I would bite the bullet and try to open the swelling mound of red tissue. After some teeth grinding moments of pain, I was able to strike oil...well oil, if oil is carmel colored.

But I knew I needed help, so I called my wife up to the operating room (The bathroom) and had her go at it. After a short list of expletives and bare knuckling the wall and a lot of drainage I had her stop. Then she took off the bandaid on the lower wound and about got sick...full of puss and after cleaning it left a nice size hole about the shape of a nickel. So I decided to go in again. Doctor saw me, said he was glad I came in because the infection can spread to the blood and cause a host of other issues. Said the lower wound looks bad but is actually coming along well...draining is good for these kind of things.

But the upper arm needed to be cut open to release the stuff that was inside...so he lovingly stuck my already screaming bulge of sensitivity with some needles. That was about as fun as chewing glass. So after feeling like I wanted to wet my pants he cut it open, drained it and then said he needed the PROBE. Now where I come from the word probe always sounds bad, no matter what it is. Sure enough it was bad...the probe, is used to stick into open flesh and look around for anything hiding inside. Because according to him, the abscess was deep...no kidding. So he packed it full of gauss so that the drainage could continue and not build up inside the wound. As you can see from the picture it is working.

So there you go...oh I forgot, after all that the nice nurse betty said I needed a shot of high powered antibiotics in my butt...drop your shorts sir this will sting.

Yep, it did.

5 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

Not five seconds after I finished reading this, a spider ran down my arm. I don't know where it went, and frankly, I'm afraid to move.

Send help.

Not Nurse Betty though...she sounds intense.

Matt said...

Now you can imagine what Nisha felt like when the doctor had to cut her open to drain her little puss filled arm. Then swab it and pack it. She did three days of antibiotic shots and and ten days of antibiotic liquid on top of that. But it nailed it and there has been no reoccurence. I say this to persuade you to take more shots in the butt and take all your antibiotics to the last drop. ~Matt

Anonymous said...

Great googledy moogledy...

The Pfeiffer Family said...

I am not a big fan of spiders to begin with, but these posts have put them on a totally different level. Your bites look SO PAINFUL!!! Glad you went back in to the doctor. Us wives can do a lot of stuff, but gaping holes in flesh are a bit limiting. Great job Lee Ella for looking, touching, and I am sure smelling the wonderful word imagery that come across in these posts. I hope everything heals up soon.

April

Anonymous said...

I read in the paper about a soldier who got a purple heart for getting some glass in his skin from an explosion. It wasn't serious and just got taken out by his friends and a bit more at the army medical tent. If her got a puple heart for that you should get like 100 purple hearts....wow!