Sunday, October 22, 2006

Moon light


Moon light
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.
One of the great things to watch in this journey of resettling the KaRen is seeing Moon Light start to take the lead in helping the next family. He is a gentle and wise man. His willingness to learn, to patiently work through all the challenges is so admirable. He is a leader who has took the first step here and he is excited to see many more come to Spokane. He tells me they are closing the camp he came from and many of the KaRen are putting down Spokane as the place they desire to come to. Moon Light will be here waiting with open arms.

He is so funny, he was telling me how Kan Shwe was laughing at the 2 liters of Pepsi...every thing is so big here! Moon Light and I took him to eat his first McDonalds cheeseburger. When we were ordering he saw the apple pie and wanted to try that but when we ate everything what he really liked was the french fries! I feel like I've already corrupted them, but ohhhhhhh it tasted so good and all the smiles at the table seemed to confirm that.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I'm so glad you get to experience them, and them your family. I guess it's not so far-fetched to happen but to me I feel it brings me much happiness and gratefullness for the community of our faith and willingness of my brother. It's one thing to read and care and cry and even pray, it's another to reach out. May God continue to use us to reach.
Love you all. Thank you for encouraging me and caring for these friends. Tell them we say hello and look forward to meeting them someday. ~Matt

FCB said...

Moon Light is an inspiration to hear about. I can imagine his eagerness to share with his people and to share his new skills you and your family have taught him.
I am eager to meet them all and I hope all the church members get in on the blessings. As you know our church has a large South Korean fellowship, we are better for it and I know it pleases God.
I hope you get equal amounts of Karen cooking. So what are them cooking at home?
Love Dad

Unknown said...

They eat rice, lots of rice, did I say a lot of rice, yeah, a lot of rice with...chicken, pork, beef, fish, various animal parts that I wouldn't enjoy but they love. They love toast with peanut butter, tea, coffee, pop, lots of chilies and peppers, anything spicy and hot!!!!! And lots of vegetables too. I mean real hot!!!! Lots of garlic too. They love something called fish paste...smells like death according to Steven from Seattle so I asked them to cook that at their house alone ;)

Michael McMullen said...

During my visit, I noticed they kept the heat turned up in their place. Spokane ain't exactly tropical. My friend's family from Panama had the same deal going. I loved going to his place in the winter.

Moon Light rocks. An inspiration and a great example for loving devotion to God and family.

I wish them the best.