Sunday, October 22, 2006

kids are kids...


kids
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.
One of the things I have learned through getting to know all these KaRen children is that they are just like any kids I know. Even though my kids and these children can't speak to each other in english, they can communicate. Watching them all ride bikes together or slide down the slides at the park or playing video games in my living room; reveals that we are all pretty much the same. You can watch them pester each other, squabble, tease and cry. They are just like us in so many ways, which I guess I thought that wouldn't be the case.

They came from a rural village, bamboo huts with no doors. They cooked by open fires outside and a host of other completely non-urban, western stuff. But...show the girls a cute pair of shoes and there comes a smile.

Little Bah Ehdoh was chasing Austin around the house the other night singing "Happy, Happy Home"; in moments like that you realize the human heart longs for the same things no matter where it may come from.

No comments: