Monday, November 17, 2008

....causes one to forget everything

"Woman...Thus the gods fashioned her, delicate and ethereal as the mists of a summer’s night and yet plump like a ripened fruit, light as a bird in spite of the fact that she carried a world of craving, light because the play of forces is unified at the invisible center of a negative relationship in which she is related to herself, slim of stature, designed with definite proportions and yet to the eye seeming to swell with the wavelines of beauty, complete and yet as if only now she were finished, cooling, delicious, refreshing as new-fallen snow, blushing with serene transparency, happy as a jest which causes one to forget everything, tranquilizing as the goal whereunto desire tends, satisfying by being herself the incitement of desire."
-Soren Kierkegaard

This has got to be one of my most favorite pieces written on the mystery and beauty of a woman.

4 comments:

joey said...

i like that...
reminds me that i still haven't finished that milosz book...

RickCapezza said...

*sigh* Rodin.

My favorite. I'd like to get a full-sized "Eternal Springtime" for my living room.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure my mind could handle a full sized in my living room... ;)
For sure a classic though. One of the most passionate of sculptures he made. I got to see some of his originals when I was in France. I saw the "thinker" and and some others.

FCB said...

This is a beautiful paragraph, almost made me blush and then wonder what I was blushing at. This is a man and sculpter with a truly romantic heart, may I not neglect or take for granted the one that is my desire.
Love Dad