Thursday, December 18, 2008

Just trying to be a good neighbor...

Without sounding like a goody goody, or like I'm trying to pat myself on the back...I share this story to inspire all of us to seek out the simple ways to be good people. So much is written about the Christian life, and building churches that is just a waste of time. If we would embrace the simple path of Jesus; we would see greater and greater things take place.

Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us daily. -Sally Koch

The church has a pretty good snowblower and I utilize it to help out our neighbors and businesses around our church. It's a great way to lend a hand and get to know people that live around us. I am praying that I can get a hold of one of those plows that hook on the front on the truck; so I can really help out around here. There are numerous elderly, shut in, single moms, sick and disabled that can not dig themselves out. It's tough work even with a snow blower...so if you know of someone who wants to invest in a tool that will truly serve the needy, let me know.

After today's work...I decided I needed to move my wife's car into the driveway so the snowplows don't completely bury it. But the dilemma was that her car was partly buried already and the roads are unplowed and beastly. Now her car stinks when it comes to driving in the snow...and sure enough, I tried to drive around the block to park in the back parking area and I got stuck on the other side of the block. So I tried and tried to get myself out of the middle of the street but to no avail....I was to exhausted. So I got out and walked home and got her and the kids. I then pushed the snow blower through the deep snow to the stuck car. Thankfully 4 neighbors came to assist and we all were able to finally get the care unstuck.

Now after doing all the snowblowing before...I was already exhausted...and to get stuck after all that...really ticked me off. But as I watched everyone coming to assist, I found myself yet again, blessed to be living and working in this area. There is a great feeling that comes when you shake someone's hand and they ask your name....it's an invitation to step one step closer to each other. Simply the result of living a life that seeks to do unto others as you would want them to do to you. Nothing complex, just loving our neighbors, not with a track in one hand and a hand out in the other...but instead, just seeking to make these blocks better places to live.

No comments: