Tuesday, January 20, 2009

No damsels in distress here....

Wired magazine wrote this article about the butt kicking, strong female characters in Battlestar Galactica. It's one of the reasons I dig Science Fiction, you can break the molds, the stereotypes, explore alternative paths of human existence and extrapolate on current cultural taboos or stress points. Religion, power, war, race, gender, sex, greed, ecology, ethics, morality all get a through exam in this series...which makes for some controversial and explosive story lines. I hope this season delivers. I'm sure hardline complementarians would have a hard time with these ladies but I sure think its more dignifying than a lot of the belittling eye-candy roles most women get in tv/films...I find this refreshing. Warning: show is for mature audiences only.

No comments: