Monday, January 12, 2009

’seeing through’ things...

“You cannot go on ’seeing through’ things forever. The whole point of seeing through something is to see something through it. It is good that the window should be transparent, because the street or garden beyond it is opaque. How if you saw through the garden, too? It is no use trying to ’see through’ first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To ’see through’ all things is the same as not to see.” -C.S. Lewis "The Abolition of Man"

2 comments:

Mel said...

I think this might be the second time you've posted this exact same paragraph on your blog... Am I wrong? :) I know for sure I read it on the Desiring God website, because C.S. Lewis was a great influence on John Piper. Anyway, it's a great quote, and I'm glad to read it again.

Unknown said...

It is, but its just so powerful to me, I work with a bunch of postmoderns and they get caught up in this so much, such visionaries that they often get blind in the act of seeing...because they cant see what they are supposed to see!