Monday, August 31, 2009

Resting between His shoulders....

""Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders." -Deuteronomy 33:12

I've been ruminating on a few verses of late that speak of resting and being still in and before the Lord. The passage in Deut. 33:12 pictures someone being carried by the Lord between His shoulders and I thought this piece by Fritz Eichenberg captured the spirit and truth of the passage.

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him." is another passage of Scripture that fed me like bread from ravens this morning. It's found in Psalms 37, as well as a number of other meditations that invite us to "delight ourselves in Him". I sensed an internal ache in my spirit as I dwelt among the lilies of those verses. The fragrance and beauty of them soothed my long distracted soul.

As I was greedily sipping of their healing ambrosia...a deeper longing was awakened. Seasons of visitations...remembered. These reflections cast light on a present but unnoticed thirst. This is often the case...we move through life at a pace that most of the time deafens us to the internal pleadings for fresher air, more still waters...and pastured presence.

Nurturing a faithful life is the continual habit of a God dweller. Doing good as the saint and poet says, but never losing the fascinations and preoccupation of the Divine delighting. Waiting...the art of being present and accepting what is..instead of postponing pleasure for some future possibility. Learning to be full in our poverty is a secret of saints. It is so true..."The little of the righteous is better than the abundance of the wicked."...why do we forget that and pursue the abundance of things that never truly satisfy the hunger within?

As I sit in this moment, among these eternal whisperings...I remember...and in remembering, I am made a little more alive as I rest between His shoulders.

Art by Fritz Eichenberg

4 comments:

FCB said...

Mmmm, I like this post and word picture. Good stuff,
Dad

Especially Heather said...

I loved this post! Can I please ask you to remove the hotlink to my site via the song though, it is using the bandwidth that I pay for...

Thanks so much, and I really did love this post!
-H
especiallyheather.com

Unknown said...

oops, sorry Heather...I unlinked it.

Especially Heather said...

Thank you so very much!
-H