Wednesday, December 29, 2004

You are a mist that appears for a little while...

If we then claim that, well, after all, these poor folks are in heaven now so this makes ultimate sense of it all, we are still left wondering that if 30,000 people can be swept away in an instant, how really relevant or important are any of our lives anyway?
 
I read this today and it really struck home the point I was feeling.
It all seems so random, pointless and chaotic, this disaster.
 
It reminded me of James 4:13-14
Now listen you who say today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money, Why you, do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
 
That scripture really punches a hole in so much of our ego based, self-focused preaching that places the almighty ME at the center of all Gods work on earth. We are so damn important in our own eyes. I find I am humbled in the face of such acts of God...God's plan for mankind doesn't hinge on my life...
 
I am not trying to be nihilistic or too melancholy on you, I am just feeling really small in the face of a really big world with massive need.
 

No comments: