Tuesday, June 28, 2005


Founding a democracy, rather like living in a democracy, can be very tough on friendship. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson began as friends. The tensions and frictions of the early Republic took care of that. Then, after years of silence between them, a mutual friend persuaded them to write to each other. In 1812, they launched into a correspondence that continued until it was ended by their deaths. That ending point was on their minds and drove their correspondence. As Mr. Adams wrote Mr. Jefferson, "You and I ought not to die, before we have explained ourselves to each other."

This made me write a letter that I have not written but knew I needed to. I hope it inspires you to reconnect or make an attempt. Life is too short to harbor pain, resentment and I think living with regret would be even harder
 Posted by Hello

2 comments:

lee said...

How often we limit ourselves and mislead others with foolish pride.
Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

You are welcome.